In an ideal world we would probably eat three healthy meals a day and never experience hunger. However, many people function better with three meals and two snacks a day as it helps keep blood sugars and energy more even. A poor choice of snack on a regular basis will quickly sabotage all the best intentions for a healthy lifestyle or weight loss plan.
So, here are some Good snack ideas:
- Fruit e.g. apples and pears
- Raw veg e.g. carrots, celery
- Nuts and seeds
- Smoothie – home-made (there is little nutrition in packaged smoothies)
- Bean salad
- Soup – home-made (which can be purchased) not tinned or packet
- Stew – home-made transported in a food flask
- Quinoa or other grain e.g. millet and salad or beans etc.
- Fish & salad
- Wholemeal bread / toast / pitta with butter and e.g. tinned fish, cheese, nut butter
- Natural yoghurt
- Oats – flapjack or porridge etc.
- Home-made biscuits & cakes – ingredients chosen with care
Bad snack ideas will probably not harm you now and then, but for every day I suggest you think twice before eating convenient junk foods. You are what you eat. Your body’s cells of tomorrow are made from the food you eat today. Think before you eat.
nicola@plusnutrition for holistic lifestyle advice to help achieve a healthier you.